Friday, August 26, 2005

My airplane seat neighbor...

Coming home from Guatemala on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Indianapolis, I sat next to a guy who was curious about our trip. He wanted to know, "What kind of group are you?"

I told him we were a Book of Hope missions team coming home from Guatemala. He then began to ask me a line of questions about God, why I believe in him, how do I know He's real, and why we would go on a mission's trip. He seemed to be a complete atheist.

After about 20 mins of discussion (I wasn't trying to be a pushy religious guy)...I finally just laid out the plan of salvation to him in a simple way he could understand. As soon as I did this, he reached his large hand across the airplane aisle and said, "Travis, my name is Ken. I'm a Christian, and was just seeing if you would share the Gospel with me."

Then he gave me his card.


Ken Ruettgers was a tackle with the Greenbay Packers from 1985-1996. Today he works with Pro Athlete's Outreach and also helps minister to retiring athletes who need to be assimilated back into a non-professional sports society. It's interesting stuff. We talked about it for another 20 minutes.

Check this out about him and his connection to the late Reggie White.

FROM THEGOAL.COM: "Ruettgers related the story of how he and his wife and Mike Arthur, a center with the Packers from 1995-1996, and his wife, had been baptized by Reggie in the Packer's Jacuzzi. We were sitting around talking one evening -- me and my wife and Mike Arthur and his wife and Reggie and Keith Jackson. I had been baptized as an infant and had never made a public proclamation with my baptism. So we thought --why not? The next night we went into the locker room and Reggie baptized us in the whirlpool. It was a huge thing. It was the biggest baptistry I'd ever seen. Afterwards, we sang songs and prayed.

Here's his ministry website.....click here Here's his personal story...click here

---

The best thing about the entire plane ride was that the guy sitting next to Ken was some investor guy, and Ken connected him into our conversation and presented the plan of salvation to him. I gave him a leather leader edition of the Book of Hope I had in my bookbag. It was all cool....one of the divine appointment type of situations.

I've heard a lot of stories about, "you'll never guess who I sat next to on an airplane." But until my trip home from Guatemala...I never had one of those stories.


Comments:
What is it about airplanes and meeting people? I had a long converstion with a guy who was going to basic training to be an Army Intelligence Analyst. He was real excited. I think he wanted to be like James Bond. Anyway, that's a neat connection, and a good gospel story.
 
The coolest guy I ever talked to was a former language guy from the army. He spoke arabic and was getting ready to go back to college on the west coast. It pretty blah in comparison to your story.

.phil
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?