Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Hands and Feet (Part 2)

On Oct. 17 I posted about our church's smallgroup doing yard work at the home/shop of a local biker gang guy who was now in a nursing home because of a bad accident. If you missed the post, scroll down and read it before reading the rest of this.

Ok, to catch you up to speed, the man passed away last week. He got pretty sick all of a sudden and then passed away. The family was devastated.

Since I met the son and daughter while cleaning up their parents' place, (and the grand daughter occasionally attends the Pipeline) I decided to go the to visitation and make a contact with the family.

As I pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home, there were about 100 Harley Davison bikes in the lot, on the road, and lined up in the drive. Nearly all the bikers--dresses in their leather, bandanas, vests, and denim--stood in the funeral home parking lot as if it was a tailgate party to an Oakland Raider's game. (I think the funeral home set out extra trash bags for the beer bottles.)

It was quite the site. I wondered through the crowd to get into the funeral home to meet the family. They remembered me as the youth pastor who helped clean up dad's place. They introduced me to friends as the guy from the church who helped them out. Everything was very positive...and thankful and appreciative.

We talked for a brief moment, I told them I was sorry for their loss, and them made my way to the door after looking at some pictures.

As I left (in the only mini-van in the lot) I had a few thoughts:


Comments:
you know...i don't know of that many pastors who would go out of their way for someone that they hardly knew...but thanks for stepping out and showing Jesus to that family. because of your obedience to God, i'm sure your love towards them has been engraved into their lives. thanks for being an example of leadership to me!!!
and i can't wait...i get to see you @ convention :)
there is so much to tell you!!! all of which are good things
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?